Monday, September 7, 2009

Love That Dirty Water!

I'd decided that I needed a break from my hectic schedule and figured I'd tag along with my parents on their annual trek to Boston and Cape Cod in August.

Our first stop was M.I.T. where we picked up Marnie at work. She was happy to see us, sure, but mostly I think she was just happy to take a break from her job!


We parked the car and headed over to the North End. Joe and Rose had recently made a new ritual out of stopping for pizza at Pizzeria Regina when they first arrive in town.
Great brick oven pizza! Cold Beer! Surly (but in a nice way) waitresses! Authentic!

I wasn't allowed in to Regina's, though. But as luck would have it, there was a doggie daycare place right across the street -- The Dogfather.

This great place let me stay while Marnie, Rose and Joe had lunch. I was a little nervous at first -- all those free-range dogs! -- but it turned out to be just fine. Karen, the owner said she usually doesn't take dogs she hasn't pre-screened, but she made an exception for me! Everyone was very nice. Although, I'm not quite sure why the Pug was giving me the stink eye...
Can't say "thanks" enough to everyone at this really wonderful place. I'm recommending it to all my friends!

Marnie had to go back to work, so we dropped her back at the lab and headed for the hotel.
Their hotel, The Marlowe in Cambridge, is dog-friendly. They put out a bowl of treats and fresh water for you when you arrive and even put your name on the weiner-dog board out front.
They have free wine in the lounge at 4 o'clock, but I think that's just for the humans. (I know I didn't get any).


The room was nice, especially the leopard patterned carpet...
After a short nap, I was up for a little sightseeing.


We hopped the "T" and headed for Harvard Square...

Hung out in the station for a photo op...
Video of me at the station...

Waited outside the Coop.

Got a good picture of the landmark Rosebud Diner...


Re-created the Abbey Road album cover on the 40th anniversary of the photo...


and crashed...

After a long nap back at the Marlowe, we met up with Marnie at the Cambridge Brewery Co. for dinner. They have outdoor seating and I was allowed to join in. This place has a pretty large patio area and even larger beers. Which may explain the following actual conversation my dad had with a woman in the restaurant...
Woman: (Upon catching sight of me, resplendent in my tie-died "Pits-for-Peace" t-shirt) "Oh, how lovely! What is it?"
Dad: "She's a Pit Bull." Adding (embarrassing me as usual), "But don't tell her that."
Woman: "A Pit Bull? Ohhhhh. It makes a lot more sense that she'd be allowed here, then."
Dad: (Puzzled) Huh?
Woman: "I thought she was a goat!"
Did I mention how big the beers were at this place?
This entry's getting long. More to come.
On to the Cape!





1 comment:

Swampgirl said...

Oh Roxanne! I love hearing about your adventures.